Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

How To Be A Housewife: Eggplant Pizza

It's the summer and I usually try some new foods.  This summer I've been slacking though and haven't really done as much.  After realizing that I gained ten pounds from March 2015 to October 2015 I have somewhat realized that I need to make some lifestyle changes.  My goal for the rest of the year is to try to eat healthier and I'm trying to make that change this week.  So yesterday I went to Kroger and purchased an eggplant for $0.98.  I've never had eggplant before today and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

Ingredients
Eggplant
Marinara Sauce
Salt
Pepper
Provolone or Mozzarella slices (whichever type of cheese you like)
Oregano
Spinach (optional)
Olive Oil




Instructions
1.  Preheat your oven to 425 degrees (Fahrenheit).
2.  Wash your eggplant off and cut into slices.  I'm not going to say cut 3/4 inch slices because lets be honest, you won't use a ruler and the slices won't come out perfect.  I managed to get 10 slices out of the eggplant I had.
3.  On a pizza tray, or whatever oven safe dish you have, brush each side of your eggplant slices with olive oil.  Sprinkle salt (I used sea salt), black pepper, and oregano onto one side of each slice.  
Brush with olive oil and sprinkled with salt, pepper, and oregano.
4.  Place your eggplant slices in the oven and cook for 8 minutes.
5.  Remove your tray and place a spoon of marinara sauce over each slice.  Place one slice of cheese over each eggplant slice.  (Originally I was going to use shredded mozzarella but discovered I magically had 10 slices of provolone left over.)  Place spinach on top of each slice or whatever veggie you would like.

Notice that I could only fit 6 slices on my pizza tray.

6.  Bake for 10 more minutes.
7.  Let cool for about 5 minutes and enjoy!
Final result!  They were really good!!!
After Thoughts
Like I stated earlier, this was my first time eating eggplant so I really did not know how it would react after being cooked for a certain amount of time.  I cooked mine for a total of 18 minutes and had to eat them with a fork and knife because the eggplant doesn't hold up like a slice of real pizza.  You can hold it with your hand pretty much, but I didn't want to risk getting marinara sauce all over me #TeamBougie.  Perhaps if I had cooked it for a little less time the eggplant would have been a bit firmer, but regardless it was still good...like I keep emphasizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Your Ramblings