Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

My Attempt: Chicken Pot Pie


So everyone knows that I'm one of those people that becomes really domestic when I'm at home bored.  When I was home for Thanksgiving I planned on making apple butter, but stuff happens.  Now I'm here with an easy recipe for chicken pot pie.

Ingredients:




2 Cans of Condensed Cream of Chicken (10.5 ounces)
1.5-2 Cups Cooked and Cubed Chicken
1/2 Cup 2% Milk
2 Cups Mixed Vegetables (12 ounce bag thawed)

Crust
1 Cup biscuit mix
1 Egg
1/2 Cup 2% Milk

I got this recipe from the Campbell's Soup website and the original serving size was for four so I decided to double up on all of the ingredients which I soon discovered was unnecessary.  The recipe was super easy and simple, so all of you who struggle in the kitchen don't worry.


Instructions:  
Before starting everything please pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

Your first step is to mix the two cans of condensed cream of chicken into the bowl that you'll be cooking the food in.  Add about 12 ounces of cooked and cubed chicken or turkey.  The recipe on the website recommended a cup of chicken (remember that was four servings), but I didn't feel like buying chicken breast and going through all that extra work.  The bags of chicken I got at Walmart were 6 ounces and $2.50 each, already cubed, and cooked.


Next up you're going to add  the mixed veggies.  If they're frozen still just put them in the sink with hot water running over them because you want them to be thawed out.  I bought a 32 oz. bag of mixed veggies, but upon pouring half the bag into the bowl I realized I didn't need anymore.

Next up you're going to add a half a cup of milk to the mix.  I used 2% because that's what we drink in my house, but I'm sure you can use whatever your preference is.


So after all of that I mixed everything up really well with a wooden spoon because I wanted to make sure everything was well distributed.  We all know it wouldn't be cool if we had a layered chicken pot pie of condensed cream of chicken at the bottom, a layer of chicken, and a layer of mixed veggies with milk floating around. 

What About The Crust Though?!?!
Okay obviously this is the most important thing.  After standing in the baking aisle looking for biscuit mix and being hit on by a creepy man I picked up two packages of Jiffy Biscuit Mix, but you only need one.  I got a little bowl, placed the biscuit mix in, added the rest of the milk I had which should be 1/2 cup (and substitutes for water) and the egg.  I mixed it up with the blender to get it nice and smooth.


Finally I spread the biscuit mix out over the top.  I didn't have enough to reach the edges sadly, but hey it covered 99% of it which is all that matters.


Before popping it into the oven.  Ignore that piece of corn.

You're going to let this cook for 30 minutes or until the crust gets nice and brown.

The finished product


While I did like this recipe I could not stand the green beans being in the mix for some reason.  I just sat there eating it and wondering if chicken pot pie normally has green beans.  I also wished the crust was more flaky.  My parents LOVED it though.  I give this recipe 3.5 stars out of 5.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Your Ramblings