Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

Taste of Athens: Keba Spitfire Grill

So I've decided that I'm going to start a portion on my blog called "Taste of Athens."  The city name will switch up for wherever I am, but since I go to school in  Athens I mostly eat here.  One of the biggest things about living somewhere else is the food.  Every city has their own little restaurants and Athens is no different, especially since its a college town.  My goal for the semester is to try different places out and give you guys a little review of the place along with some pictures of what I ate.  First up we have Keba Spitfire Grill.


Not sure if this is a good example of the inside of the sandwich, but oh well.





Location:  1850 Epps Bridge Parkway, Suite 111
What I Ordered:  A regular combo with beef, lettuce, tomato, Keba sauce, fries, and creamy feta sauce.
Price:  $9.62

I first heard about Keba from my frat's fellowship chair last semester when Taste of Athens became a fellowship, so this isn't my first time trying it.  The burgers are described as German style seeing how the owner/founder is from Germany and they even serve Belgian cut fries.  You have numerous options for your base (filling/meat) including beef, chicken, pork, feta, etc. and you get to select a sauce that you want on the sandwich.  I chose Keba sauce since it obviously must be viewed as their "signature" sauce if it bares the name of the place.  If you get fries you also get the choice of another sauce so I got creamy feta.  My food was ready within a few minutes which was pleasing seeing how I was starving.

The beef alone is very dry, but I'm guessing this is why they include a sauce because I can't imagine having it with just the bread and veggies.  The meat actually reminded me of the type I see on gyros if that matters at all.  I must say the sandwich/burger was pretty good.  I didn't really care for the Keba sauce though because I just couldn't taste it.  I knew it was there, but yeah it doesn't have much of a kick to it that left me wanting to get it on my sandwich again.  I ended up dipping my food into the creamy feta sauce that I ordered for my fries.  Now that sauce was amazing.  I recommend everyone try that one.  The fries weren't salted if my memory serves me right which is something I don't care for.  I don't need salt on my fries, but I do like some type of seasoning and these didn't have anything.  I'm guessing this is why they offer the option of getting a dipping sauce whenever you order fries.

Overall I'll give them a 3.5 out of 5.  The food was good, but the price was another story.  I don't care for nearly paying $10 for a meal like this, but the food is "different" so I should expect that anyways.  As a college student my pockets can't accept that though.  I'll go back, but probably only if I'm invited there.  If you're a small person I wouldn't recommend getting the regular sized combo as you'll get full halfway through the sandwich.  The small combo is $6.99 and I wish I had got it.  I also recommend sitting down and eating it because by the time I got back to my dorm it wasn't as hot as it probably was when I first got it and how hot food is can play a big deal in the taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Your Ramblings