Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

This Is It: Chick-fil-A

I have wrote two other blogs on this whole Chick-fil-A thing, made comments on other blogs, and have discussed it with others.  The other two blogs probably won't be published because I have realized that if you don't fully agree with boycotting Chick-fil-A you are wrong for your beliefs.  I am not here for controversy so this is all I will say.  I will eat at Chick-fil-A, not because I believe in "traditional marriage" as I am all for same sex marriage, but because I believe everyone has the right to believe in whatever the hell they want to.  I've realized that I do not feel strong enough about boycotting the place because I am not gay and although I do have gay friends I believe there are plenty of other companies who would need to be boycotted because of who they donated money to.  Yes, if Chick-fil-A was donating money to the KKK I probably wouldn't be eating there, but since the KKK has been known for its hate towards African Americans I believe I have stronger emotional ties to them.  This is probably why I cannot sit and fully relate to the issue 100% that it makes me want to go to these extremes.  As long as Dan Cathy has not come out saying he hates gays and wishes they would all die in hell, his stance on the issue has not pulled that much on my heartstrings to the point that I will never return to the one at the mall, Augusta Exchange, Beechwood in Athens, or Alps store.  To everyone who says that this just means I'm not a true supporter of gay rights I question what you all say to those who are actually apart of the LGBT community and still want to eat there.

Dan Cathy is a Christian and as a Christian he is supposed to stand up for his beliefs just like those of the LGBT community are doing.  I have realized that when it comes to topics that are hot in the media if you do not fully side with the group who is considered the victim you are a bad person which is unfortunate.  Everyone wants Mr. Cathy to have an open mind about what marriage could be, but nobody understands that this man is 59 years old and since he has been a child I'm sure those are what his beliefs have been.  It is also his job as Christian to love his neighbor regardless of what they may be.  If he is funding groups that are "anti-gay" then it means he needs to take a seat and reexamine how strong his beliefs are.  At the same time he is not telling his employees to treat anybody differently because of their sexuality.  Straight, gay, Black, or white you are still greeted with "Welcome to Chick-fil-A" or "It'll be my pleasure."  This is what he believes in morally.

 If we are so strong on everyone having their civil rights guaranteed to them we would be boycotting a lot of companies.  Will we ignore the companies who hire illegal immigrants or have sweatshops that under pay these people simply because it's just the little old illegal immigrants or because we feel that these countries need jobs so bad that something is better than nothing even if it means paying $1.25/hour to people working 12 hour shifts?  If you don't want to eat there don't go because I guarantee you that these boycotts are not going to make Dan Cathy stop believing in what he wants to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Your Ramblings