Pages

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Beauty's Only Skin Deep: The Interesting Beauty

Have you ever looked at yourself and questioned your beauty?  That has been a constant thing for me since I was about 11.  You see, I am one of those people who suffer from a little thing called self-esteem issues. *gasp*  "What?  You have self-esteem issues?!"  Um yes, but everyone has that issue one way or the other.  Ever since I was like 9 or 10 I can remember one of my Dad's old coworkers seeing me saying, "Is this your son?"  From that point on I have always felt I was boy-ish looking.  Because of that I've always second guessed my looks.   I'm not one of those people who looks at themselves and thinks, "Damn I'm ugly."  I did feel that way from about 7th grade until the second half of 11th grade, but those were the years when acne was a b*tch and I got huge boobs (for a small frame) out of nowhere.  No, I look at myself and think "You're an interesting type of beauty."  There are some people that we look at first glance and the general consensus is, "OMG she's so pretty!"  Some celebrities that go in this category include Beyonce, Chanel Iman, and  Rihanna.  Awkward pretty on the other hand are those that have certain characteristics that help enhance their look.  No, I'm not sitting here saying I look like a beast but I know that Ford Modeling Agency isn't about to call me up after seeing my Facebook pictures and want to sign me for a contract neither is Victoria's Secret.

 Interesting beauties to me are Grace Jones (she looks man-ish to me) and Michelle Obama (while she gorgeous to me most think that she's all right at the best).  You see, when it comes to these two women there are certain aspects of them that make people want to double take and reconsider speaking to them.  Grace Jones from what I have seen and heard about her doing her reign as a super model was her androgynous look that included her hair cut and her dominating looks helped also.  Michelle Obama, whose only flaw to me is her slightly buck teeth, was called a "not so great beauty" by former supermodel Iman who also said she would get better with age...like a wine.  The reason why so many people admire Michelle Obama is because of her grace and intelligence.  I mean she's a Black girl from the South side of Chicago who went to Princeton and Harvard Law.  How can one NOT find her interesting even a little bit?  Myself?  I've always thought my "feisty" attitude has added something to me that many find intriguing and some strongly dislike, but what can I say?  Anyone that I have ever dated has always found that to be a fascinating thing about me.  I have been told that I am a "mystery" because despite my Say-Anything-I-Want-attitude  Am I calling myself ugly?  No.  I think everyone knows at least one "interesting beauty" in their life even if its themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Your Ramblings